THE STORY: The McHenry Mansion was built in 1883 by Robert McHenry. Robert was a prominent rancher and banker. The mansion is a fine example
of the Victorian Italianate style of architecture. In 1923, it was converted into apartments and remained as such until 1976
when the Julio R. Gallo Foundation purchased it and donated it to the City of Modesto for restoration and for community use.
The McHenry Mansion is decorated and furnished with antiques appropriate to the period when Robert and his wife, Matilda inhabited
the Mansion from 1883 to 1896. The McHenry Mansion is on the National Register of Historic places and is accredited by the American
Association of Museums. It is owned and operated by the City of Modesto.